Jennifer Pearce

Hi there! My name is Jennifer and I am one of the newest members to MomTalk and JustKiddin'. I am a 40-year-old mother who works outside the home. I live with my husband of eleven years and our two young daughters. After being a stay-at-home-mother for six years, I re-entered the workforce when my husband was briefly unemployed. When he returned to work, I chose to keep working due to economics and the age of my daughters at the time. I now work as the advertising manager of a community newspaper and appreciate how working has gotten me much more involved in my community. However, I often miss the opportunity to spend more time with my daughters, or to volunteer more time with their school and activities. My older daughter is a 10-year-old fourth grader, and my younger daughter is a 6-year-old kindergartener. Their many activities and my husband’s complicated work schedule make scheduling our number one family challenge. He works a rotating shift in a retail store that includes many nights and weekends. We struggle to preserve our time together as a family and make the most of it, while still finding time to accomplish our individual goals and pursue our favorite interests. My interests include reading, writing and photography. I love taking family photos and completed a Project 365 in 2010, taking a photo a day for the year. It was a wonderful experience to document our life for a year and appreciate all the little pieces of it. I am currently working to put the 365 pictures into a scrapbook…if I can just find the time. I look forward to sharing our journey with you here on JustKiddin'!

tawana-humphrey

Padded swimwear for pre-teens…give me a break!

Abercrombie Kids has just launched a new swimwear line for pre-teen girls that has a padded bikini top for these girls. I don’t know what you all think about this, but they must be out of their minds. I wish Kiki would come and ask me if she get one of those things – as grown as she is, she would definitely be interested in this! Call me old fashioned, but I think this is tasteless. Although I do know it’s ultimately up to the parent to buy or not, my problem is the parents who don’t really understand the mechanics behind this type of item. Not meaning that they’re not good parents, but just that some parents aren’t aware of certain things and how they might affect their kids.

This type of bathing suit should not even be allowed to be sold in a kids department. I remember back in the day when Soraya was a young girl and they came out with all these pants with different words scribbled on the back. I saw all these little girls with words like, “cutie, cheerleader, and other name brands scrawled across the back.” I told my mother that it almost made me sick to see those little girls with writings on their booty because it’s inviting people to read, look, and gawk. It’s bad enough with the perverts we have out here, I just feel like that’s giving them the go ahead to stare at these young girls. Now I do know that this doesn’t cause someone to be a pervert, but it still makes me uneasy!

How do you mothers feel about the padded swimwear? When and where should we draw the line for our babies? Please drop me a line and let me know how you feel. Until next time family, I will holla!

Bookmark and Share

8 Comments on “Padded swimwear for pre-teens…give me a break!”

• Laurel C. April 2nd, 2011 12:44 pm

This product is totally inappropriate. Why are there triangle string bikinis for pre teens anyway?! I’m a fan of the tankini and think that’s more appropriate for young girls. I have a preschooler and it was hard to find an appropriate 2-piece. I would go with a one-piece, but it’s harder for them to use the potty in one of those.

• Tyra May 28th, 2011 2:38 pm

i personally disagree with this, my teen asked for one of these and i brought it for her. i dont no see the problem. i think its just giving them more support and confidence without there boobs drooping down. i do no see what the problem is.

• Tammy May 31st, 2011 11:24 am

A year ago I would have agreed that the padded bathing suit tops are in appropriate. But now I have changed my mind. My daughter is 15 and very very petite and has NO chest. She is very athletic and there for she believes she has the body of a small boy. She doesnt need a bra but I buy padded ones for her from the little girls section so that she is not imbarrassed in the locker room. I think the padded swim tops are great because now she can feel like a teenager and not a boy when she is at the pool with her friends.

• Chase June 11th, 2011 3:45 pm

My daughter is 15 years old, with a boyish body; wide shoulders, thin hips, ‘A’ chest, but she has a booty :P i bought her one of these bathingsuits when she was 13, and do not see the problem. She does not really have the ‘assets’ that young teenage boys generally look at (huge boobs, big ass, etc. im the mother of a 17 year old boy, also) although she has a gorgeous face. she even has a bikini from victorias secret (Not revealing, just a simple bikini with a very pretty Paisely pattern) . I think that its ridiculous to be putting these swimsuits on 8 and 9 year olds, but come on ! I find that these bathingsuits are completely appropriate for a teenager (13, 14, 15 years old) Let your daughter feel cute, and pretty:) she probably won’t feel too confident strutting around in a bathingsuit meant for a 10 year old. :/
    Just my opinion :) I just want my daughter to feel like a teenager, not a boy or a 10 year old girl .

• Tawana Humphrey June 20th, 2011 9:58 am

My problem was that the bathing suits were marketed for little girls. If they are of your daughter’s age, then I have absolutely no problem, but little girls ages 8, 9, 10….that’s a problem.

• Tawana Humphrey June 20th, 2011 10:01 am

Totally agreeable for a teenager at the age of 15. These padded tops were not aimed for teens, but for little girls and I think that is completely inappropriate for these children.

• Tawana Humphrey June 20th, 2011 10:03 am

An 8 year old has no reason to wear this. I am writing on behalf of the little girls targeted in this campaign, not teenageers.

• sophie August 6th, 2011 5:44 pm

i think there fine because if young teenage girls want to wear paddedbras its just the same as wearing a bikini only that gets wet, there is nothing wrong with teens or pre teens wear stuff like this if u buy ur daughter a padded bra then what the heck buy her a bikini too also it is up to the teen and the parent to decide what is best